The NHI Nursing Home Social & Recreational Award
Median Healthcare Services
This award is open to all NHI nursing homes that have a ‘social and recreational programme’ (activities programme) in place. Individuals and teams can be nominated. The award is established to celebrate the work that is undertaken in nursing homes to maximise the potential of residents and others significant to them to participate in meaningful and person-centred programmes of social and recreational activities. Whilst facilitating and coordinating these programmes is often the remit of the ‘activities coordinator’, effective programmes are an integrated part of the life of the home and an integrated part of everyone’s role who works in the nursing home.
Candidates will be required to demonstrate how the social and recreational programme in the nursing home contributes to care excellence and how the work has a demonstrable benefit in contributing to a culture of person-centredness in the nursing home.
How to Apply
Complete the award proforma outlining a significant contribution that the social and recreational programme has made to the life of residents and/or others significant to the resident(s) and apply online by clicking here and submit your application online.
You will receive an automatic email confirming your application.
The email will also include your questions and answers should you want to print this off for future use.
Complete the award proforma outlining a significant contribution that the social and recreational programme has made to the life of residents and/or others significant to the resident(s) and print and fill out the application form which you can scan and email or post to us.
(Please note the PDF Application Form does not allow you to type directly on to it)
The application must demonstrate innovation and creativity in the approaches adopted, staff roles, stakeholder engagement and outcomes achieved. Significant contributions could include:
• Sustained commitment to high quality psycho-social care of residents
• Initiation of changes such as participation in creative activities, enhancement of the care environment, facilitating participation, enabling residents’ knowledge and skills
• Initiation of changes to enhance resident dignity, autonomy or privacy and quality of life
To be eligible for this award, the candidate needs to:
1. Be currently employed within a Nursing Homes Ireland Registered Nursing Home and have responsibility for social and recreational activities – NB: An individual or team can be nominated
2. Self nominate or are nominated by a member of the care team, resident or relative. Nomination to be supported by the Person in Charge or the Registered Provider
Note: This Award is open to all staff employed (full or part time) in an NHI registered Nursing Home